This chocolate chip zucchini bread recipe has become a staple in our home. Every summer we grow zucchini in our plot at our community garden. Unfortunately with two kids under the age of 5 we don’t get out to our plot as often as we used to. Usually we go once a week to harvest and water. More often than not we go to the plot and see zucchini’s about the size of our pointer finger, we’ll leave them on the plant and when we go back one week later…. The zucchinis are the size of our forearm!!!
What do you do with forearm sized zucchini’s? You use this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Recipe of course!
I can’t get Bean to eat zucchini for the life of me. At first she didn’t want to try the zucchini bread because she saw all of the “green stuff” going into it. We finally convinced her to try a bite and now she can’t get enough of it.
I like keeping the recipe nice and simple. No nuts, orange peel, etc. For me the mixture of cinnamon and nutmeg combined with the chocolate chips makes this the perfect recipe. It’s such a nice flavor combination. I’ve been making this recipe for years and adapted it from a Paula Deen recipe. If you like nuts and other flavors in your zucchini bread I highly recommend checking out Paula Deen’s original Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread recipe. Otherwise if you like a more “back to basics” chocolate chip zucchini bread recipe give this one a try.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F.
- Prepare 2 loaf pans. I do this by lining them with parchment paper (I like the ease of removing the loaves by just tugging on the parchment paper. Alternatively you could grease your pans.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, spices and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, or in the bowl of your stand mixer, beat eggs until light and fluffy.
- Add sugar, and mix until well blended.
- Add oil, vanilla, zucchini and chocolate chips and mix.
- A bit at a time stir in sifted ingredients. Mix until well incorporated.
- Pour into prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove loaves from pans and cool on a wire rack.
I hope you enjoy this chocolate chip zucchini bread recipe as much as my family does.
Tell me… Do you have any baking recipes that you have been making for years? What are some of your favorite sweet treats to bake?