Summer time is a lot fun. With the kids out of school, the sky is the limit when it comes to activities and outings. If you are on a budget and don’t want to break the bank while having fun, here are 7 fun and free activities to do with your kids this summer.
- Free Swims – Swimming is a great summer time activity, especially when it’s unstructured. It’s fun for the family and a great way to stay cool in the summer heat. Many local pools have free swims every week, so make sure to visit their website or give them a call to find out what day and time it happens.
- Library Story Time – Local libraries are another wonderful place to find free activities for children of all ages throughout the summer. Along with summer reading programs that reward kids for reading, they have weekly story times and programs with crafts, Lego building and more.
- Scavenger Hunt – This one is always a hit with the kids. Make a list of items for your children to find. Some can be simple and others challenging. Then send the kids with a bucket or bag and let them have some fun finding all the items on the list. It works as both an indoor and outdoor activity.
- Board Game Party – If you need a break from the sun, invite a couple of the friends over for a board game party. Your kids can pick three of their favorites and their friends can bring three of their best board games. Add in some snacks and you’ve got your self a fun and free summer day party!
- Picnics – Eating outside is always fun. For one of your summer outings, pack up a picnic blanket, your lunch plus some outdoor games and a ball and head to a park or the beach for the day!
- Mall Play Area – Another great activity is heading to the mall to enjoy their complimentary play areas for the kids while you sit and sip on a cool drink. Don’t forget to bring their socks, which they will need to play inside.
- Spray Parks & Wading Pools – One of the best things about summer are the public spray parks and wading pools that are open to everyone at no cost. So get your bathing suits on, slather on some sun screen and you’re ready for another fun and free summer activity.
Photo Copyright: paylessimages / 123RF Stock Photo
Renata Wurster says
Hi Salma, where is that wading pool that you have a pic of at the bottom of your post? Is it in the tri-cities? I’ve been wanting to find a local wading pool but haven’t been able to find one… If you know of one, please share!
I’ll make sure that Salma sees this and answers your question, but I’ve been going quite frequently with my kids to one in Burnaby. It’s called Grimstone Park. 🙂 I love it there. They fill the wading pool from 12-4 each day.
Renata Wurster says