I’m a sucker for children’s artwork that has handprints or footprints on it. I’d be a happy mama if ever square inch of my wallspace was filled with nothing but family photos, handprint art and footprint art. I LOVE it. I love looking back at how itty bitty their little hands were, how teensy weensy their toes were and thinking of all the great memories we shared making the projects together.
I always have a multipack of canvases in my craft room. Using canvas is a wonderful way to make children’s artwork easy to display in your home and your kids will feel like real artists doing art on a material other than paper.
This project would make an adorable Mother’s Day or Father’s Day gift so gather your kiddos, collect your supplies, tug off those socks and let’s make some Footprint Butterfly Artwork!
Creative Kids Craft- Footprint Butterfly Artwork
- 8X10 canvas stretched on wood (available at the dollar store or your local craft store)
- Acrylic paints in your favourite colours
- Paint brushes
- Paper plate or a plate that you don’t mind getting covered in paint
- Markers (optional)
- Have your child pick their 3 favorite colors. Put a squirt of paint (around an inch wide) in each color on the plate so that the colors are almost touching.
- Sit your child on a chair and dip their foot in the paint. Smoosh it around really good so that the paint covers the entire bottom of their foot.
- Press their foot on the canvas. The left foot should go on the right side of the canvas and the right foot on the left hand side to make butterfly wings.
- Repeat with the opposite foot.
- Wash the paint of your child’s feet and let the canvas dry until it’s no longer wet to the touch.
- Have your child draw flowers, sky or a garden around their butterfly using paint and/or markers.
- Allow to dry then hang.
Tell me… What are your favorite art projects to make with kids?