I have a thing for hot air balloons. I’ve never been on one, but the image of hot air balloons inspires me. When I was at SNAP I visited the Wallternatives booth and saw their beautiful Hot Air Balloon wall decals. I knew immediately that I must have them in my home. Wallternatives was kind enough to send me a set and they went up in Bean’s room as you can see in my post about Bean’s Room Makeover.
I find that hot air balloons have an inspirational type feel to them. They make me think that “The Sky’s The Limit” so I decided I needed to create some DIY Mod Podge Hot Air Balloon Inspirational Wood Wall Art to accompany them.
I started off by brainstorming ideas for sayings that could go with hot air balloons. I decided on:
Up, Up & Away
Rise and Shine
Follow Your Dreams
I considered using stencils for my lettering, but then decided to throw caution to the wind and hand letter them myself. I was happy with the results and Bean loves them too. She loves having artwork that mommy made along with her new hot air balloon decals.
Here are some instructions for making DIY Mod Podge Hot Air Balloon Inspirational Wood Wall Art of your own.
- Wood cut to your desired shape and size (I used 3/4 inch plywood)
- Hot air balloon images (I used Paris Hot Air Balloon Clipart by LillyBimble)
- Chalk Marker (I used a Bistro Chalk Marker in Blue from JoAnns)
- Mod Podge (I use the matte formula)
- Foam Brush
- A hammer
- Saw Tooth Self Leveling Picture Hangers (they look like the below and should be available at any hardware store)
- Print out hot air balloon clip art in a variety of sizes. Cut out the hot air balloons and lay them on your wood.
- Decide on your inspirational quotes and pencil them onto your wood.
- Trace your words with your chalk pen until you have your desired effect.
- Once you have decided on placement, using your sponge brush apply a thin coat of mod podge to the back of your hot air balloons. Lay them on the wood in the desired location and smooth out any air bubbles. Allow to dry.
- Using long, even strokes apply mod podge over entire surface of wood, covering the words and the hot air balloons. Allow to dry and then apply a second coat. Allow to dry again.
- Following the directions on the package, secure the saw tooth picture hangers to the back of your artwork.
- Hang and enjoy!
Tell me… Do you have an homemade artwork in your home?