Nothing says summer like a tall, cold glass of strawberry lemonade. Today I’m going to share with you my recipe for Strawberry Lemonade Syrup that can be frozen into ice cubes or stored in the fridge. If you add the syrup or cubes to sparkling water (or sparkling wine) it makes the most delicious summer drink.
I made my dad and The Hubs my homemade lemon pepper for Father’s Day so I had a bunch of zested lemons sitting in my fridge. What better way to use up lemons in a hurry than to make lemonade?
The Secret To Great Strawberry Lemonade Syrup:
The secret to great strawberry lemonade syrup is simple. You want equal parts lemon juice, sugar, water and strawberries. Start by squeezing your lemons, measure how much you have then use the same amount of water, sugar and strawberries.
What You Need:
- Lemons (I juiced 10 lemons which gave me 3 1/2 cups of lemon juice)
- Strawberries (Equal to your amount of lemon juice so in this case 3 1/2 cups)
- Sugar (Equal to your amount of lemon juice so in this case 3 1/2 cups)
- Water (Equal to your amount of lemon juice so in this case 3 1/2 cups)
- Sparkling Water or champagne for when you are ready for a glass of fizzy strawberry lemonade
Step 1: Juice your lemons. I use the citrus juicer attachment on my food processor. If you are juicing by hand make sure to roll the lemons on your counter first so that they soften yield more juice. Measure how much lemon juice you have and use equal parts water, sugar and strawberries for the rest of your recipe.
Step 3: On your stove top make a simple syrup by mixing equal parts water and sugar and heating until the sugar has dissolved and the syrup is bubbling. (Remember you use the same amount of water and sugar as you did lemon juice.)
Step 5: Pour your strawberry lemonade syrup into ice cube trays and freeze. Once frozen transfer into a ziplock bag and use throughout the summer. Alternatively you can pour your strawberry lemonade syrup into a mason jar that is sealed tightly and store in your refrigerator. It should last for a week or more (if you don’t drink it all by then!)
To make a fizzy strawberry lemonade:
- Combine 3 parts sparkling water or sparkling wine with 1 part strawberry syrup (approximately 2 or 3 cubes for your average glass.)
- Stir and enjoy!