Looking for a quick and easy, one pan healthy dinner idea that will feed a crowd? This turkey and rice Mexican casserole recipe only takes 10 minutes to prep, then you pop it in the oven. Perfect for filling tacos, burritos or using as a topping for taco salad! A healthy, delicious and family friendly meal idea!
My kids have this game that they like to play– “If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?” They ask their friends this question all the time, but they stopped asking it to me long ago. The reason why is because my answer has always been, and will always be, the same– Tacos. Ever since I was a kid, tacos have been my favorite food. I could honestly eat them every single day and be as happy as a clam (and this is coming from the girl that usually hates eating leftovers). Taco fixings hit all the major food groups, and there is so many variations of things that you can make with all the taco fixings.
When I say taco, I use the term loosely. We very rarely have tacos with the crunchy shells (though that is one of my favorite ways to eat them). Instead we usually opt for the less messy way of eating our “taco” ingredients– either wrapped like a burrito in a flour tortilla shell, or with crunchy tortilla chips in a taco salad bowl.
My current favorite filling for our “tacos” is my turkey and rice Mexican casserole recipe. It’s healthy, fresh and is easy great for leftovers since you can switch things up with different taco garnishes! If you are still thinking of turkey as an ingredient that just gets trotted out for special occasions like Christmas and Thanksgiving, you should seriously reconsider! Make every day a special occasion with Canadian turkey! Make sure you read all the way to the bottom of this page to check out some of the incredible recipes that we’ve made with Canadian turkey.
Turkey is a great way to reinvent some of your favorite recipes as a healthier option. I regularly do meal makeovers on our favorite recipes that I’ve traditionally used ground beef for– One pot lasagna, burgers, stuffed meatloaf and more!
Spring is a great time to reset those health resolutions from the new year and for my family re-establishing healthy eating habits is a priority. My goal is to add more fresh vegetables to our meals and to choose better sources of protein. Turkey is a whole, nutrient-rich food (meaning it has a lot of nutrients per calorie). It’s good for you and is easy to swap in for another protein source without compromising on flavor or taste! Swap it into your favorite recipes to make a leaner, healthier choice.
Here are our 5 favorite reasons we’re making over our meals with turkey this spring:
1. Canadian turkey is a lean source of high quality protein. Eating enough protein at each meal provides you with long-lasting energy so you can stay satisfied between meals.
2. White turkey cuts are a low fat, extra-lean choice with just 3 grams of fat per 100-gram serving.
3. Dark cuts are lean too, with just 8 grams of fat per 100-gram serving. Plus, dark turkey cuts provide even more iron and zinc (which are key in keeping us healthy during cold and flu season).
4. Turkey is nutrient-rich, packed with protein, vitamins and minerals that we need for good health.
5. All fresh cuts of turkey are naturally low in sodium. And because turkey is super tasty, you don’t need salty marinades to enhance the flavour.
One of my other goals this spring is to spend more time playing with my kids outside! This recipe only takes 10 minutes to prep, then it gets popped in the oven to bake so you’ll spend less time in the kitchen and more time doing the things you enjoy!
Ready for my Turkey and Rice Mexican Casserole Recipe? Read on!
Turkey and Rice Mexican Casserole Recipe
-1 pound of ground Canadian turkey
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-1 tablespoon chilli powder
-1 tablespoon avocado oil (or your favorite cooking oil)
-1 bell pepper, diced
-1/2 medium onion, diced
-1 cup of rice (we used basmati)
-1 can of enchilada sauce
-1/2 cup water
-1 cup shredded cheese
Serves: 8 very hungry people Prep Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 45 minutes
-Preheat oven to 375F.
-Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add ground turkey, minced garlic and chilli powder. Cook until all of the pink has disappeared and turkey is lightly browned. Transfer to a bowl.
-Add tablespoon of oil to pan and sauté your diced peppers and onion for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables start to soften.
-Add rice to your vegetables and sauté for another minute to lightly toast rice.
-Add turkey back to your frying pan. Add enchilada sauce, water and cheese. Toss everything together.
-Cover frying pan with tin foil and transfer to oven for 45 minutes.
-Remove from oven and serve! We love this delicious Turkey and Rice Mexican Casserole Recipe in tacos, burritos or as a topping for taco salad!
Mix and match all of your favorite toppings for garnishes. Here are some of our suggestions:
Print this recipe for later:
- 1 pound of ground Canadian turkey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or your favorite cooking oil)
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 cup of rice (we used basmati)
- 1 can of enchilada sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add ground turkey, minced garlic and chilli powder. Cook until all of the pink has disappeared and turkey is lightly browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add tablespoon of oil to pan and sauté your diced peppers and onion for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables start to soften.
- Add rice to your vegetables and sauté for another minute to lightly toast rice.
- Add turkey back to your frying pan. Add enchilada sauce, water and cheese. Toss everything together.
- Cover frying pan with tin foil and transfer to oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve! We love this delicious Turkey and Rice Mexican Casserole Recipe in tacos, burritos or as a topping for taco salad!
Looking for additional turkey tips, recipes and how tos? Visit canadianturkey.ca for all your cooking inspiration. The recipe section is filled with amazing grilling recipes for full meals, snacks, appetizers and family favourites. You can also find a gold mine of ideas for your leftovers and make-ahead meals so you can get a head start on the week ahead!
Tell me… What recipe would you make over with Canadian Turkey? Do you love tacos and burritos as much as I do?
Disclosure: Thank you to Canadian Turkey for working with us on this post. As with every article on Hello Creative Family, all thoughts and opinions are 100% our own. We only share things we love!
Like this post? We’d love for you to pin it for later!