This post and the photos within it may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
—-> PIN ME HERE <—-
Later this week I start my new weight loss program, so today seemed like a VERY good time to share one of my guilty pleasures– Bacon Chocolate Chip Scones!
Before Christmas I took a pork cooking class with Well Seasoned and Johnston’s. At the class I won a package of Johnston’s Thick Sliced Bacon. Mmmmm. Bacon– The thing dreams are made of… especially REALLY GOOD BACON. Angie, the owner of Well Seasoned, uses this bacon to make her Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies. She made me promise that I would share with her whatever I made with the bacon. So here it is Angie! Bacon Chocolate Chip Scones with Maple Sea Salt Drizzle.
It seemed silly to waste bacon this good on something as simple as bacon and eggs (though that would have been DELICIOUS too). I decided to use half the package to make BLT’s for breakfast and the other half to make Bacon Chocolate Chip Scones (inspired by Angie.)
I made some Maple and Sea Salt Drizzle to go over top. It was super delicious, but can be omitted if you are counting calories. 😉
I converted my Scones For 2 Recipe to make this, so if you would like to make a smaller batch of Chocolate Chip Bacon Scones follow that recipe and use bacon and chocolate chips as your “mix-ins”.
Bacon Chocolate Chip Scones with Maple and Sea Salt Drizzle
Bacon Chocolate Chip Scone Ingredients:
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- 6 tablespoons of cold butter (cut into small cubes)
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup of crumbled bacon (approximately 4-6 slices)
Bacon Chocolate Chip Scone Directions:
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and butter in the bowl of your food processor (alternatively this can also be done by hand). Pulse until butter has been incorporated with butter and is made into small, pea sized crumbles.
- Add milk and pulse until ingredients are combined and dough starts to come together.
- Transfer scone dough to a clean, lightly floured work surface.
- Add chocolate chips and bacon, keep a few pieces set aside to sprinkle on top of scones. Work into dough until mix-ins are evenly incorporated.
- Pat your dough down until it’s approximately 1 inch thick and cut into scone shaped pieces. I cut my dough into 8 scones. Top with extra bacon.
- Transfer to your baking sheet that has either been lightly oiled or is lined with a silpat.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack for cooling. Delicious served warm.
Maple and Sea Salt Drizzle Ingredients:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
Maple and Sea Salt Drizzle Directions:
- Combine powdered sugar, maple syrup and milk in a bowl. Whisk until it becomes a frosting like consistency. Add extra milk or powdered sugar as needed.
- Either whisk sea salt into the frosting or sprinkle over the frosting once it’s been drizzled on the scones.
- Drizzle the Maple and Sea Salt Drizzle on top of the cooled scones. If serving the scones warm, put a little cup of the frosting next to the scones to dip in.
Like this recipe? Check out our cast iron baking series!