Yesterday Bean and I sat down and made our DIY Flip Flop Summer Wreath. The perfect summer decoration for your front door.
Sadly our lovely spring wreath came down but we tucked it away for next year.
Nothing says summer like flip flops. This playful wreath will bring a smile to everyone’s face that knocks at your front door.
*UPDATE: I FOUND THAT THE FLIP FLOPS ENDED UP FALLING OFF OF THE EMBROIDERY HOOP. I ENDED UP REMAKING MY WREATH BY CUTTING A HOOP OUT OF CARDBOARD INSTEAD. UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS CAN BE FOUND HERE.*
What You Need:
- 4 pairs of brightly colored flip flops (I got these from Michael’s for 2 for $5.00)
- A wooden embroidery hoop (alternatively you could cut a ring out of a piece of cardboard and spray paint it)
- Any embellishments you may want to add to your flip flops
- A glue gun
- A piece of ribbon to hang your wreath with
- Tie a loop of ribbon through the hanger of your embroidery hoop that you can later use to hang your wreath with.
- Take your flip flops and space them around your embroidery hoop.
- Going one flip flop at a time, apply hot glue to the embroidery hoop and then press the flip flop against the glue firmly. Continue around your wreath.
- Add any embellishments that you would like to your flip flops. We added silk Gerbera Daisies.
- Hang on your front door.
- Enjoy the smiles of your guests and those who pass by and notice your colorful summer wreath.
Do you decorate your front door for the seasons and holidays? What do you have hanging from your front door right now?
Crystal- This is so creative! I love it! It is also great because flip flops are so affordable. Thanks for the idea! Haha I just realized I wrote that it was “so creative” that wan’t intentional!
Hee hee! I love that you said so creative. Thanks Kimber. It was a fun, quick project for sure. Bean had a great time helping with it. It was also fun picking out which flip flop colors to use. I’m glad you like it. Thanks for stopping by.
This is a really fun idea. And is easy/cheap to make! Visiting from the Fun Friday Hop.
Thank you much Kelly. Thanks for stopping by. 🙂
Jennifer @ PinkWhen says
That is VERY creative! I would have never thought of that!! Super cute.
Hee hee. We had a repairman come by the other day and the wreath brought a big smile to his face. I think it’s fun with all the bright colors. Thanks so much Jen!
This is so cute! Very summery. 🙂
Thanks Alison! And the flip flops can be found for so inexpensive at craft stores and probably the dollar store too!
This is very cute. Being a shoe person and all I’m not positive this would make it to my door…but cute nonethe less!
Hee hee, yes sacrificing shoes for crafting can be hard. I’m pretty sure that the flip flops could be peeled off afterwards and still worn though so they could be dual purpose. 🙂 Thanks for stopping by Laurie. 🙂
Angel @ Household Savvy says
Popping by from Linky Ladies. This is adorable!!! My girls would love to help me make this. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks so much stopping by Angel!
Haha That is too funny! Very creative and fun for summer! My kids would love it if we had something like this on the door. It would be funny if you used old shoes too….lol
Angela at sunnysweetlife.blogspot.com
Claudia Thompson says
When using hoop did ff lean/tilt? How did this “lean” work out?? Thanks.
It has a tiny bit of a lean to it, but it can’t lean too much because the toes of the flip flops on the bottom part of the ring hit the door and keep it from tilting any further. I hope that makes sense?
I think if I did it again I might cut a ring out of cardboard and spray paint the ring. That way you would have a bit more surface area for the flip flops and the glue to stick to than you get with the embroidery hoop. I have had a flip flop fall off and had to re-glue it to the ring.
Seana Turner says
Very creative, Crystal. And you could apply the same idea to any subject you love. Would be fun to do one for a girl’s bedroom door!
Tips N Tricks says
This is so funny yet a creative idea. Looking forward to making this. Thanks a lot for sharing such an idea with us.