I’ve long admired hand painted stools that I’ve seen on Etsy and at craft shows but haven’t had the expendable budget to buy one. One of the things I’ve come to love about Ikea is that the neutralness of a lot of their furniture is the PERFECT canvas for customization. So I decided to customize our Bekvam Stool myself and give it the facelift it deserves.
This took me an hour or two over one weekend. It’s so easy that ANYONE could do it. Perfect for the beginner who has the desire for custom handmade furniture but not the skill (like me… hee hee).
Here is how you can make one yourself!
From Drab to Fab- Ikea Bekvam Stool Makeover
- 1 Bekvam Stool from Ikea (or a wooden stool of your choice)
- Paint for all over colour on your stool (I love FolkArt’s Home Decor Chalk Paint. On this project I used their Oatmeal shade, it’s the perfect neutral.)
- Stencils (I used Royal Design Studio’s Japanese Flower Garden B in size large. The same ones that I used for Bean’s Pillows for her bedroom)
- Paint for your stencil designs (I used Royal Design Studio’s Stencil Cremes in Peacock and Shimmer Pink. I love this paint for stencilling.)
- Brushes (For the chalk paint I just used foam brushes that you can buy at JoAnns stores, there is probably something better to use and The Hubs shakes his head at me every time he sees me using them, he hates when I don’t use the right supply for the job. For the stencils it is definitely worth the investment of getting a stencil brush. They are AMAZING and will give you a much better outcome on your projects. I use the stencil brushes from Royal Design Studios and will never go back.)
- A sealing paint (I love the FolkArt Home Decor Clear Wax)
- Optional painter’s tape and sponge, hot water and soap and/or sandpaper (depending on how dirty your stool is or if it’s brand new).
- If you have been using your stool for awhile, clean it. Wash it with sponge, some warm water and a mild cleaner (we use Branch Basics natural cleaners in our home). If your stool has things on it that won’t come off with a soap and water sand it with a light sand paper. Allow to dry.
- Apply 2 coats of paint to your stool. Follow instructions on the bottle of paint and allow to dry after each coat.
- Figure out where you would like the stencils to go on your step stool. You can either map it out lightly with a pencil or eyeball it and wing it (like I did!)
- Place your stencil in each area where you would like the design (you may want to use painters tape to hold in in place). Press down firmly and apply paint to the stencil using up and down dabbing motions. Move to the next area you would like to stencil and repeat. If there are areas where the stencil overlaps allow to dry in between. Allow stool to dry.
- Once your stool has dried, apply a coat of sealant to protect your beautiful paint job.
- Admire your new, beautiful piece of furniture!
Tell me… Have you ever given a piece of Ikea furniture a makeover?
If you like this make sure to check out:
Modern Masters Old Trunk Makeover
15 Minute Envelope Pillow Sewing Tutorial & Fabric Stencilling with Royal Design Studios
Victoria Ess says
That’s a really nice design!
Thank you Victoria! 🙂