A couple of weeks ago I received some AMAZING news. I had been selected to participate in the Cricut Design Space Star Challenge!!! If you are the crafty sort, chances are that you either own or are dying to own a Cricut Explore. I was in the second camp. I met team Cricut at SNAP back in April, played with the new Cricut Explore and was saving up to buy myself a Cricut Explore for Christmas. Then I got the news that I had been selected for the challenge, that I was being teamed up with an incredibly talented group of bloggers and Cricut was sending me a Cricut Explore!!!
My awesome Cricut Design Space Star™ team (“Lucky 13”) consists of Monica of East Coast Creative, MJ of Pars Caeli, Sarah and Jessica of Pretty Providence, Melissa of The Sweet Escape, Sadie Jane of Simply Sadie Jane, Me- Crystal of Sew Creative Blog, Katie of That Girl Katie, Celina of Petit A Petit and Family, Andrea of Andrea’s Notebook, and last but certainly not least Erin & Tricia of Suburban Bitches.
Did I feel a bit intimidated being paired up with so many talented ladies? You betcha! But I had absolutely nothing to fear. These ladies have all been so warm, encouraging and generous with their time. I’m so lucky to be on team Lucky #13!
The first thing that the gals and I did was sit down and come up with our theme for the first challenge. Cricut asked us to create a fashion or gear project. Our team decided on:
I’ll admit, I had a hard time with this first challenge. I had so many ideas floating through my head and for some reason the stores in Vancouver are TERRIBLY equipped with gold supplies (BTW the Cricut Explore can cut a variety of materials including vinyl, fabric, felt, iron on transfers, leather, cardstock and chipboard.)
I went back and forth between a million and one different ideas. Then I decided to go with something that spoke to my spirit.
After I met Cricut at SNAP I started dreaming of working with them. I added working with Cricut to my vision board, I watched You Tube video after You Tube video of people making incredible things on their Cricut Explores, I thought up ideas that I could make for my sister’s wedding if I owned a Cricut… Basically I “Let My Dreams Soar”.
The piece of equipment that I am on most at my house is my MacBook Air and so I decided to design a decal for my own computer and for all of my readers who also want to let their dreams soar.
I made 3 different variations of the Hot Air Balloon. Which one do you like best?
I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to take my hot air balloon that I had sketched on a piece of paper and to turn it into a Cricut design within minutes by using Cricut Design Space.
Sew Creative’s Cricut Design Space Star Challenge #1: Let Your Dreams Soar Hot Air Balloon Decal
Materials I used:
- iPhone Camera
- Cricut Explore
- Standard Cutting Mat and Cutting Blade
- Cricut Vinyl I used the color Caramel
- Cricut Weeding Tool
- Gold Spray Paint (alternatively you could buy gold vinyl)
- Cricut Transfer Tape
- Cut- In Cricut Design Space cut the hot air balloon, Let Your Dreams Soar wording and clouds using your Cricut explore on the vinyl color of your choice.
- Weed- Remove the pieces of vinyl that aren’t part of the design.
- Spray Paint (Optional)- Using your favorite spray paint, spray your vinyl following the instructions on the can. Allow to dry.
- Transfer- Using Cricut Transfer Tape transfer your decals to your laptop.
If you are interested in creating this project please email me at [email protected] and I can get you hooked up with the files that you need.
Take a peek at the fabulous projects from my teammates:
Lucky 13 team in the Cricut Design Space Star™ team:
- Booties, Earrings, and Hearts from Andrea of Andrea’s Notebook
- Children’s shirt and gold sandals from Celina of Petit A Petit and Family
- Cut out leather purse with cross lining from Erin & Tricia of Suburban Bitches
- Leather cuff from Monica of East Coast Creative
- Easy DIY hashtag t-shirts from Sarah and Jessica of Pretty Providence
- DIY umbrella and Pineapple Scarf from MJ of Pars Caeli
- Leopard leggings and tank from Sadie Jane of Simply Sadie Jane
- Laptop decals from Crystal of Sew Creative Blog
Please make sure to check back for your chance to win a Cricut Explore from Sew Creative!
Tell me… Have you used a Cricut Explore? What dreams or goals have you set for yourself recently?