Make a cereal box costume using materials that you already have on hand including a cardboard box, glue from a glue gun and ribbon! Our costume features the adorable Choco Chimps cereal box! A fun, adorable and environmentally friendly halloween costume idea!
Disclosure: Thank you to EnviroKidz for working with us on this post. As with every article on Hello Creative Family, all thoughts and opinions are 100% our own.
Hi crafty friends!
I’m so excited to be bringing you another fun DIY Halloween costume today with my fabulous brand partner, EnviroKidz!
Taking good care of our planet, respecting Mother Nature and protecting animals are all life lessons that The Hubs and I work hard to teach our children on a daily basis.
One of the things I love about EnviroKidz is how important nature is to them too!
“In everything we do we aim to work in harmony with nature – mirroring its patterns and its ancient wisdom. From water and the soil to tiny pollinators and birds, we’re passionate about protecting our planet and leaving this earth better than we found it.” — EnviroKidz
Last week we showed you how to make a no sew koala costume out of a hooded sweatshirt that you can re-wear all year long. My kids love costumes made out of hoodies, and I love that we’re not buying costumes that only get worn once.
This week, we’re showing you how to make a DIY Cereal Box Costume using upcycled materials and craft supplies you probably already have at home. Once Halloween is over, the costume can easily be dismantled and recycled! This costume is fun for kids, and kind to the planet. What more could you ask for?
EnviroKidz Choco Chimps Cereal
We are BIG, BIG fans of Choco Chimps Cereal at Hello Creative Family. My kids love it in a bowl of milk for breakfast, and I love having a handful of it dry for an afternoon snack! It instantly satisfies my chocolate craving without being overly sweet!
Not only does Choco Chimps taste delicious, it also:
- Is made with Fairtrade cocoa
- Contains no artificial flavours or colors
- Is Certified Organic and is Non GMO verified
- A portion of sales from every box sold goes to help saving chimpanzees through the Jane Goodall foundation.
Basically it’s a super hero, dressed up in a cereal box costume. We thought that Choco Chimps Cereal was definitely worthy of having a costume made in it’s likeness so that’s what we are making today! Read on for full instructions on how to make this fun upcycled costume!
DIY Cereal Box Halloween Costume Featuring Choco Chimps Cereal
From the upcycled Amazon box, to the glue, to the ribbons with the monkeys on them, all the supplies I used in this project were things I already had at home! I love this costume because the environmental footprint that it took to make it is so low! Dress it up with accessories you have around the house– A spoon, a stuffed chimp, a fun jungle inspired hat, a big plastic bowl to put your candy in! The options are endless!
- Choco Chimps Cereal Box Art (see email form above)
- Cardboard cut into two large rectangles (We used cardboard from Amazon boxes. If you don't have cardboard boxes you could also use poster board)
- Scissors or paper trimmer
- Brown acrylic paint
- Foam paint brush
- Glue stick or spray adhesive
- Straight Edge Ruler
- Craft knife or box cutter
- Glue gun
- Open Choco Chimps Cereal box art using Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click "Print" under the file menu.
- Under Page Sizing and Handling click "Poster". Under Tile Scale play with the percentage. We printed ours at 234% so that it fit on 6 pages. Click tab after you enter your percentage and the preview will show how it is laid out on the pages.
- While your pages are printing, paint your cardboard rectangles using brown paint.
- Load white cardstock into your printer and click print. Once all the pages have printed out, trim away the white border of each page so that you are left with 6 cereal box pieces.
- Line up your cardstock cereal box pieces. Use glue or spray adhesive to adhere the pieces to the front of one of the pieces of cardboard. Place heavy books on top while the glue dries to help the cardstock stick to the cardboard.
- Once your glue is dry. Use a straight edge and a craft knife to trim your cardboard so that there is an even border around your cereal box. Our finished costume measures 17 inches wide by 19 inches tall.
- Create shoulder straps out of 2 pieces of thick ribbon. Use your glue gun to glue one end of the ribbon to the back of your front piece of the box and the other end to the back of the other piece of the box. Repeat with the second ribbon on the opposite side. The length of your straps and where they are positioned will depend on the size of child who is wearing your costume. Our straps were 12 inches long and positioned 4 inches in from the edge of the box with two inches of the ribbon glued down on either end.
- Once your glue has dried, your costume is ready to wear!
I think this cereal box costume came out just as cute as can be! How about you? My kiddo is super excited to have a Halloween costume based on his favorite cereal!
If you like our DIY Cereal Box Costume we would love for you to pin it to help others discover it too! It helps us continue bringing you fun, free content!
Make sure you check out all of our EnviroKidz posts here:
If you like this project, make sure you check out our DIY and Crafts section here! We think you might like these Halloween themed projects too!