Learn how to make the most delicious Chocolate Peanut Butter Cereal Snack Mix in DIY Sparkle Mason Jar that’s perfect for Christmas gifting!
Disclosure: Thank you to EnviroKidz for working with us on this post. As with every article on Hello Creative Family, all thoughts and opinions are 100% our own.
Hi Crafty Friends!
Are you still working on your holiday crafting? I know I sure am! Truth be told, I’m a bit of a procrastinator when it comes to handmade gift giving. I love crafting the week before Christmas, when everyone is in a happy holiday spirit, the Christmas tree is all decorated and Christmas songs are playing on the radio. I get so much joy from crafting, and I find that taking that week to make things really helps transition me from the hustle and bustle of the holidays, to getting into the true Christmas spirit.
Today I’m back with two Christmas projects that make a great holiday gift in partnership with my friends at EnviroKidz! We’re sharing with you a super yummy Chocolate Peanut Butter Cereal Snack Mix (you’ll probably want to double the batch if you’re gifting it, because you and your family will want a batch for yourself!) I’m also sharing with you how to make a beautiful sparkle mason jar that you can put your snack mix in!
Giving Back At Christmas and All Year Long
This year my husband and I have spent a lot of time talking to our kids about giving back and all the ways in which you can do that. From volunteering your time, to performing a random act of kindness, to donating money to a cause you believe in, to supporting businesses that are doing good things for the world.
One of the reasons why I love EnviroKidz so much (besides the fact that they make cereal that my whole family loves), is because they have such big hearts and do so much good.
Not only are they passionate about educating kids and their parents about animal conservation, they also donate 1% of sales to environmental education projects that support vulnerable animals, like lemurs! That really adds up! They have donated over 4 million USD so far!
For today’s recipe we are using Leapin’ Lemurs Cereal! Here are a few interesting facts about lemurs!
- There are over 100 species of lemurs in all shapes and sizes! The smallest is the Madame Berthe’s Mouse Lemur which weighs on average just 30 grams (about the size of a large mouse) the largest is the Indri Lemur which weighs between 13 to 20 pounds (that’s the size of an infant to toddler!).
- Madagascar is the only natural habitat for the lemur! Lemurs have been introduced to other areas by humans, but Madagascar is the only place where they are found naturally in the wild.
- Females are the boss in the lemur world! Lemur society has a dominant female who “runs” the lemur society. This is rare in the mammal world where males are usually dominant.
- Lemurs and bees have something in common! They both play a very important role in pollination! Pollen and seeds collect in a lemur’s fur and is transported from one plant to another as the lemur moves throughout the forest!
- Lemurs are the oldest living primates! Scientists believe that there were lemur like creatures alive during the dinosaur ages and have classified the lemur family as the oldest living primates in the world! Scientists think that lemurs travelled on floating vegetation across the Indian Ocean to Madagascar and over the years have evolved to the 112 species of lemurs that are alive today.
If you want to learn more about lemurs and how you can help protect them visit the Lemur Conservation Society who EnviroKidz supports with their Leapin’ Lemur donations.
Ready for a delicious recipe that uses Leapin’ Lemurs cereal? Read on!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Christmas Cereal Snack Mix
- 1 box Leapin' Lemurs Cereal
- 2 cups Marshmallows (Use vegan marshmallows to make this recipe vegan friendly.)
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips (Use vegan chocolate chips to make this recipe vegan friendly.)
- 1/4 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 3/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 cups Pretzels (Use vegan pretzels to make this recipe vegan friendly.)
- 1 cup Your Favorite Brand Of Candy Coated Chocolate (Use vegan candy coated chocolate to make this recipe vegan friendly.)
- 1 cup Cashews
- In a large mixing bowl combine 4 cups Leapin' Lemurs Cereal and 1 cup marshmallows. Stir to combine.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine chocolate chips, butter and peanut butter.
- Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between until chocolate chips and butter are melted and you have a chocolate peanut butter sauce.
- Pour melted chocolate peanut butter mixture over your marshmallow cereal mix. Fold gently until all cereal is covered in chocolate and peanut butter.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over cereal mix and fold gently until powdered sugar is coating your cereal mix. Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper to cool, roughly 15-20 minutes.
- Once your cereal mix has cooled, add remaining Leapin' Lemurs Cereal, 1 cup of marshmallows and pretzels, candy coated chocolate and cashews.
- Toss and serve! Store leftovers in an airtight container!
Ready to learn how to make a DIY Sparkle Mason Jar to store your snack mix in? Read on!
DIY Sparkle Mason Jar
- Mason Jar With Lid
- Cutting Machine or Scissors
- Removable Vinyl or Stencil Vinyl
- Mod Podge Mega Glitter (I used a mixture of gold, silver multi colored and iridescent.)
- Painters Palette or Plate
- Paint Brush
- Optional: Parchment Paper to protect your work surface.
If Using A Cutting Machine
- Measure your mason jar and then cut your favorite Christmas shape out of removable vinyl or stencil vinyl using your electronic cutting machine. I chose a Christmas tree.
If Cutting By Hand
- Measure your mason jar. Trace a Christmas design onto a piece of removable vinyl or stencil vinyl. Cut out using scissors.
Making Your Sparkle Mason Jar
- Lay your stencil onto a clean mason jar.
- Using your paint brush and Mega Glitter Mod Podge lay a thin layer of Mod Podge on the glass of the mason jar. Paint around the stencil so that the glitter Mod Podge goes right up to the edge of the stencil but doesn't cover it (if it overlaps you risk the Mod Podge peeling up when you remove the stencil.) Set aside to dry.
- When your jar has dried, paint another layer of Mega Glitter Mod Podge on your mason jar. Repeat until your jar is as glittery as you would like it to be, letting the Mod Podge dry between each coat.
- Once your jar has completely dried, carefully remove the stencil from your jar. If there are any areas where the Mod Podge overlapped your stencil, you may want to use a craft knife to help slice the Mod Podge where it sticks to your stencil.
- Fill your sparkle mason jar with Chocolate Peanut Butter Snack Mix or another delicious treat. These jars also look very pretty with battery operated candles inside!
Thank you again to our friends at EnviroKidz for partnering with us on this fun and delicious Christmas project! Here are a few of my family’s favorite EnviroKidz cereals!
You can find a complete list of their delicious cereals here.
Make sure you check out these other fun EnviroKidz projects on our site!
Tell me… Will you be giving any handmade Christmas gifts this year? What are your favorite DIY gifts to give and receive?