This post and the photos within it may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Do you have a dinosaur loving kiddo in your midst? Today’s project is super fun for kiddos to help assemble AND will keep them occupied for hours once the project is completed. Never fear if your child isn’t dinosaur crazy, try this project with plastic bugs, plastic animals or even little cars and trucks.
I LOVE doing crafts with my kids BUT sometimes mama just needs a little time for herself. This is one of those projects that I love because you get to assemble the bin together, but then the following afternoon they can play with it solo. Together time plus keeping kids occupied solo??? This is a winning project!
What You Need For Your DIY Dinosaur Excavation Sensory Bin:
- Plastic Container (We used a clear plastic 15L/15.8QT stackable Omni Box storage bin)
- Play sand
- Plaster of Paris
- Measuring Cups
- Plastic Dinosaurs
- Something to stir with (a wooden spoon, a hand trowel or a hand spade work great)
- Paint brushes to “uncover” the dinosaurs
Read on to find out how to assemble this awesome kids craft project!
4 parts sand, to half part plaster, to half part water
So for example…
4 cups sand, 1/2 cup plaster, 1/2 cup water
8 cups sand, 1 cup plaster, 1 cup water
12 cups sand, 1.5 cups plaster, 1.5 cups water
16 cups sand, 2 cups plaster, 2 cups water
20 cups sand, 2.5 cups plaster, 2.5 cups water
24 cups sand, 3 cups plaster, 3 cups water
You get the idea!
1. Measure your sand and pour it into your plastic container.
2. Measure your plaster and pour it into your plastic container.
3. Add in your water.
4. Stir, stir and stir some more!
5. Push half the sand to the side and lay your dinosaurs in the sand. Cover them with the rest of the sand and pat down.
6. Leave bin to dry overnight.
7. Set your little ones loose with some paint brushes to unearth the buried dinosaurs!