This post and the photos within it may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
I adore baking with cast iron. There is something rustic yet modern about serving a dessert made in a cast iron frying pan. Summer has officially arrived in Vancouver and the June strawberries are plentiful, delicious and begging to be turned into a delicious dessert. I decided to take my love for cast iron and my delicious BC strawberries and turn them into a Cast Iron Skillet Strawberry Shortcake Recipe!
For the strawberries:
- 2 lbs of strawberries
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
For the Shortcake:
- 2 tablespoons, plus 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of whipping cream
For the whipped cream:
- 1 1/2 cups of cold whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- zest of 1 lemon
Directions for the strawberries:
- Thinly slice strawberries and place them in a bowl.
- Add lemon juice and sugar.
- Toss the berries in the lemon juice and sugar until evenly coated.
Directions for the shortcake:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Sift dry shortcake ingredients into the bowl of your Kitchen Aid mixer.
- Add the cream and mix with your dough hook until combined.
- Press dough into your cast iron frying pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the top of your shortcake is golden.
Directions for whipping cream:
- Pour chilled whipping cream into the bowl of your kitchen aid mixer. (Note: You will have best results making whipped cream if your bowl and whisk attachment for your mixer are chilled… however I usually forget to do this. You can still make whipped cream it just may take longer.)
- Add sugar, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Beat until small peaks start to form and you can hold the whipped cream sideways on a spoon without it falling off. (Usually around 2 minutes.) Refrigerate unused whipped cream.
- Cut shortcake into slices and top with strawberries and whipped cream.
If you like this recipe please make sure to check out our other Cast Iron Skillet Recipes:
Like what you see on Sew Creative? Pinning our recipes and craft projects, following us on Pinterest,Twitter, Facebook and subscribing (in the box in the side bar towards the top in the right hand column) mean a lot to us.
Tell me… Do you have a cast iron frying pan? Do you use it? What cast iron skillet baking recipe would you like for us to explore next?