This post and the photos within it may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Celebrate the Fourth of July with this Patriotic Cupcakes Recipe! With red, white and blue swirls and other patriotic elements this is a fun Fourth of July Cupcake decorating idea!
Hi Crafty Friends,
You all know how much I LOVE cupcakes! I’m back with another adorable and delicious cupcake recipe. This is a fabulous Fourth Of July decorated cupcake idea, however once you know this fun trick you can use it to make pretty colored cupcakes for all occasions! Canadian friends can skip the blue cake mix and do red and white cupcakes for Canada Day!
Something you might not know about me is that I was born and raised in Washington State, but moved to Canada when I was 19 years old. My mom is Canadian and my Dad is American. I moved to Vancouver to go to school and then met my husband and ended up staying here permanently.
One of the things that I miss the most about the US is the Fourth of July. We celebrate Canada Day here on July 1st, which is fun… but it just doesn’t measure up to the big Fourth of July celebrations that I grew up with.
Americans are just so patriotic and love a good excuse to celebrate! That’s something I miss.
Right now the borders are closed between Canada and the US, so I won’t be going down to visit my family to celebrate. But I’ll be having a mini celebration here with my Patriotic Cupcakes Recipe!
These are so cute and easy to make. They will definitely have you feeling patriotic and festive!
Ready for my Fourth of July Cupcakes Recipe? Read on!
Patriotic Cupcakes Recipe
Patriotic Cupcakes Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (or, the temperature according to the cake box directions) and collect all of your ingredients.
- Prepare the cake mix batter and divide evenly into three bowls.
- Color one bowl of batter with blue gel food coloring and another with red gel food coloring. Mix until each one is tinted thoroughly.
- Alternating between the three colors, fill each section of the muffin pan until they’re about 2/3 full.
- Bake according to cake box directions and allow to cool completely.
- In a bowl, microwave red candy and coconut oil in 30-second intervals until completely melted (mix the candy between each interval). Line up hard pretzels on a baking sheet, lined with wax paper. Dip each pretzel into melted candy and place gently back on lined baking sheet. Allow the coated pretzels to set completely, at least one hour.
- In a large bowl, beat together softened butter, confectioners’ sugar and milk with an electric mixer. Start on low and increase to high – these ingredients combined will make the buttercream frosting.
- Once the buttercream is smooth and forms semi-stiff peaks, scoop into a piping bag with Wilton tip #12 attached. Frost each cupcake.
- Place 3 blueberries on each cupcake, followed by a pretzel.
I just love all of the pretty swirls inside so much!
Tell me… What are some of your favorite red, white and blue foods to celebrate The Fourth Of July with?
Like this Fourth of July Cupcake Decorating Idea? I would love for you to pin it for later and to help other people discover them!
Like this cupcake recipe? You might like these ones too!