Learn how to make the best DIY Peppermint Hot Chocolate Bombs with this easy tutorial! This recipe is easy to make, fun to drink and makes a great handmade stocking stuffer!
Hi Crafty Friends!
Today I have a SUPER fun post for you. I’m over the moon excited because this project is one part craft, one part recipe and a whole lot of fun. It makes an excellent handmade gift for Christmas. We’re making DIY Peppermint Hot Chocolate Bombs!
I love the idea of making these for stocking stuffers and having a saucepan of hot milk on the stove all prepared for making Christmas morning hot chocolate!
Join the homemade hot chocolate bomb craze!
Don’t know what hot chocolate bombs are? They are the newest Pinterest craze! They are delicious balls of chocolatey goodness stuffed full of hot chocolate mix, mini marshmallows and other hot chocolate toppings (in this case peppermint candy). Put one into a mug, pour hot milk on top and watch as your hot chocolate bomb explodes revealing marshmallows and hot chocolate toppings. Give your mug a stir and you have an instant cup of hot chocolate as well as an instagramable moment!
Check out the above video to see them in action!
Ready to learn how to make these peppermint hot chocolate bombs? Read on!
The Best DIY Peppermint Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
- 1 12 ounce package dark chocolate chips
- 1 packet instant dark cocoa mix
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 4 to 5 peppermint candies crushed
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
When Making Hot Chocolate:
- 6 cups hot milk to make the bombs
- Place the dark chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the chocolate chips are fully melted.
- Put a spoonful of melted chocolate inside one cup on the silicone mold and use the back of the spoon to spread the chocolate up the sides of the mold. Continue this process until all the molds are coated. Set the remaining chocolate aside for sealing and decorating the bombs.
- Allow the chocolate to set completely, around 2 to 3 hours. You can speed up the process by placing the chocolate in the refrigerator.
- When the chocolate is set, remove each of the chocolate pieces from the mold. Add a small amount of instant hot cocoa mix to half the pieces.
- Top the hot cocoa mix with marshmallows and crushed peppermint candy.
- Reheat the chocolate in 15 second intervals until melted. Pick up an empty chocolate piece and dip the edges into the melted chocolate.
- Carefully place it on top of a filled piece and lightly press it into place. Use your finger to smooth melted chocolate around the seam. Continue until all the chocolate bombs are sealed.
- Melt the white chocolate chips in 15 second intervals until melted, then place the remaining semi-sweet chocolate and white chocolate in piping bags. Drizzle the chocolate over the top of the bombs to decorate. Finish decorating by sprinkling the remaining crushed peppermint candy on top of the chocolate drizzles. Allow the chocolate decorations to set before using, around 1 hour.
- To make the hot chocolate bombs, place the bomb in the bottom of a mug. Pour one cup of hot milk over the top of the bomb to melt the chocolate. When the chocolate is completely melted, stir to combine.
I hope you enjoy these sweet treats and that they help to make your Christmas a little bit brighter!
Love new recipes? Sign up for our recipe newsletter!
Tell me… Do you ever make DIY stocking stuffers? Who would you give these to?
If you like our DIY Peppermint Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipe I would love for you to pin it! It helps others discover our recipe which helps us bring you more awesome content like this!
If you like this post, make sure you check out our recipe section too! Here are a few more ideas you might like!