Make Easy DIY S’mores Hot Chocolate Bombs that are perfect for taking camping! These sweet treats are so fun to make for the whole family! Learn how to make hot chocolate bombs inspired by the campfire classic dessert with this step by step tutorial!
Hi Crafty Friends! Who’s ready for a brand new hot chocolate bomb recipe? Today we are taking one of my all time favorite sweet treats and turning it in a hot chocolate bomb! Yep– I’m talking about smores! Hot chocolate bombs are one trend that I just can’t get enough of! They are so much fun! My silicone chocolate mold is definitely being used a ton! There are so many variations that you can create, and they make the perfect little handmade gift!
Have you tried making them yet?
If you are new to the Hot Chocolate Bomb craze, make sure you check out these fun variations on Hello Creative Family:
What is a hot chocolate bomb?
You might be sitting here reading this post thinking “What in the heck is a hot chocolate bomb?” Lucky for you, I have an answer! A hot chocolate bomb is made of a hard shell of chocolate, filled with hot chocolate powder, marshmallows and any other flavorings you may want to add. It’s usually topped with chocolate drizzle and cute little decorations that might give you a hint about what is inside. Drop the hot chocolate bomb in a cup, pour hot milk on top, stir and watch your hot chocolate bomb explode into a cup of delicious chocolate marshmallow goodness!
Here is a video of one of our Peppermint Hot Chocolate bombs being “detonated”.
Camping Hot Chocolate Bomb
My family and I love going camping. We have all kinds of camping rituals each summer from hiking around the lake and then jumping off a bridge into the water at the end to cool off, to visiting the local pottery guild, to starting each day with hot chocolate and ending each night with s’mores! My kids love these fun traditions.
We normally buy a box of instant hot chocolate at the beginning of the summer, and bring the packets along with us, but this year I thought it would be fun to make S’mores Hot Chocolate Bombs that we can make in a saucepan on our camp stove each morning!
My kids thought this idea was so fun, and they can’t wait for our next camping trip!
Love camping like my family does? Check out these fun camping ideas along with this S’mores Caddy from my friend Kara at Kara Creates!
Ready for this delicious recipe? Read on!
How To Make S’mores Hot Chocolate Bombs
- 1 12- ounce package milk chocolate chips
- 1 packet instant cocoa mix
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 6 cups hot milk to make the bombs
- Round silicone mold
- Place the milk chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the chocolate chips are fully melted.
- Put a spoonful of melted chocolate inside one cup on the silicone mold and use the back of the spoon to spread the chocolate up the sides of the mold. Continue this process until all the molds are coated. Set the remaining chocolate aside for sealing and decorating the bombs.
- Allow the chocolate to set completely, around 2 to 3 hours. You can speed up the process by placing the chocolate in the refrigerator. When the chocolate is set, remove each of the chocolate pieces from the mold. Add a small amount of instant hot cocoa mix to half the pieces.
- Top the hot cocoa mix with mini marshmallows.
- Reheat the chocolate in 15 second intervals until melted. Pick up an empty chocolate piece and dip the edges into the melted chocolate. Carefully place it on top of a filled piece and lightly press it into place. Use your finger to smooth melted chocolate around the seam. Continue until all the chocolate bombs are sealed.
- Place a small amount of melted chocolate to the top of each bomb and place three marshmallows on top. Drizzle the remaining melted chocolate over the top of the marshmallows and sprinkle graham cracker crumbs on top. Allow the chocolate decorations to set before using, around 1 hour.
- To make the hot chocolate bombs, place the bomb in the bottom of a mug. Pour one cup of hot milk over the top of the bomb to melt the chocolate. When the chocolate is completely melted, stir to combine.
I just love these pretty little hot chocolate bombs so much! How about you?
If you love fun, family friendly recipes make sure you sign up for our recipe newsletter!
Tell me… Have you ever tried making hot chocolate bombs? What kind of hot chocolate bomb would you like to see us make next?
If you like our Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipe I would love for you to pin it! It helps others discover our recipe which helps us bring you more awesome content like this!
If you like this post, make sure you check out our recipe section too! Here are a few more ideas you might like!